My new boat well 1978 Lund new to me

Local Company did the honors of putting the numbers and such on this AM.

I really hate IOWA and the nice BLUE STICKER!!!

I love how deep this boat is, the power pedastals are in the ALL THE WAY UP position.

Fire extinguisher - Life vests - put in the rear battery and gas tank and Going to take her out FRIDAY!

Needs mud and blood. Good job. Trip.

BTW, you have to paint that stern light mast. That rhino coat stuff you used on the trailer might be cool as it gives some grip to it with gloved hand when it gets iced in during the dark run in.

good idea on the light pole. I still have a mason jar of bedliner stuff leftover.

Paint is always hard to get to stick well to that kind of stuff that gets thrown
around in the boat.

I was thinking of mine and how a bunch of ice had formed around the base from some windblown spray EARLY one morning. I couldn't get it out without taking my emergency lighter to it. Needed it down to hunt. I might find some of that stuff and coat mine too. Your right about the paint not sticking to them, even when roughed up with sand paper. Let me know how it goes on if you decide to try it. BTW, tape up the plug end of the pole so you don't get it down too far and it wont fit in the base plate! Trip.

Got the CMC Lift installed, no more luggin the 40hp up by hand

All the Way UP

Going Down

2" up and 6" back

Very nice unit works smooth and its solid 1/2" thick aluminum. Now gotta bring myself to paint it lol.

Also since the last post I Herculinered the gunnels with 3 coats from the outside top and inside, good
grip and more durable than the paint alone and easy touch up after the season.

It has since cured and dried a super FLAT Black.

Automatic Bilge pump installed and it WORKS!

Dave,
That is one heck of a transformation from the 1st pics you posted, great job.

That would be a great boat for fishing & hunting the big bays down here, still dont understand why semi-v's never caught on down here in the south.

Dang! Nice work Dave!! Hey...that HydroTurf really intrigues me. I was checking their website and got a little lost in the calendar section but I was curious...what style did you use. Appears to be the lighter gray color. Did you get the 3M adhesive on it or just glue it down?

Also, when you Herculinered the gunnel rail did you scuff and prime or etch prime or just spray it on clean metal? I just did the side of my Lund...the top 8 inches where the old Lund trim stickers were. They are so torn up they looked like crap(like the boat)and I wanted to remove them but after using heat, acetone, etc etc etc and then trying to sand blast them off, nothing worked. So I used a 3M sanding block and just scuffed the stickers and any exposed paint and then primed with an etching primer. Then I sprayed on 3 layers of 3M under body coating which I've used on pits. I like how thin it is. I was worried about how it would react to UV but so far it looks awesome. I was gonna paint it but decided to leave it black and run some white trim along the edge to match it with the bottom trim.

ITs the gray correct and they boat shop just uses 3m spray adhesive good stuff like 20$ a can!!!

The gunnel had 5 layers of new paint and a self etching primer on it from the new paint. So i scuffed it and hit it with the xylene let it dry and then did 3 coats of Herculiner with a brush dabing it on as I went.

Had to tape it off real good cause im messy lol

Took her out for a lil spin yesterday to see how the Tilt works out on her. WAS perfect able to slowly go thru weedy water trimmed up with ease and we picked up
some speed on the top end for sure. Very happy with the
CMC-130. Next is to figure out the doggie ramp for gordy and the blind situation for open water divers.

Dave, still sporting that nice shiny light pole I see. Sure is a nice looking boat. Hope you get duck blood all over that thing soon. Trip.

yeah the light pole matches the CMC tilt trim unit lol.

I have to drill the pole and mount my Jolly Roger Flag before I coat it. SOON VERY SOON!

The boat came out great. When hunting the open water do you put in on the Iowa side or Illinois? I really would like to see your project in person this fall, we are down there quite a bit during season.

Looks like 13 is still up a bit? I need to go down in the next couple of weeks and check things out. I have heard some areas are badly silted in after all the flooding this year.

Dave that is a well thought out river boat you have there. Turned out great, it was fun watching it transform.

Tim

Dave,
Wow Just started a similar project on a late model Late 70's.... 19' Starcraft. I am still hashing out the details. would love to get your e-mail to pic your brain on the cost and materials you used. thx Skip

Great Job Dave! You did a fantastic job on the restoration and your additions look perfect. I bought a 1960 Larson Playboy Runabout a year ago........because it was there....and decided it had to be a duck boat. It was designed as a family pleasure boat with 2 seperate cockpits, but I have designed it to allow 2 people to hunt side by side (facing aft) for divers, and front and back (shooting out the side) for ducks and geese. It was a blast to re work and I picked the boat and trailer up for nothing. I built a scissor blind and dog ladder for it also and had a blast. Not trying to steal your thread, loved your project. I added a couple pics to show my work.

dc

View attachment Duckworks3 001.JPG
View attachment Trial runs 003.JPG
View attachment Larson.jpg

Last edited:
Dave that is a cool lookin rig for sure! I cant wait to get this thing on the big pool and shoot some divers... got a few months to wait lol.

Thanks Dave, I forgot the best picture of all. Having a heck of a time getting pics to post today. This boat was upside down on the trailer for the past 18 years waiting to be rehabbed. Got it for next to nothing. I love all the classic old cleats, lights, and hardware. All were original and the lights still worked. I put a 35 on the back and it flat out goes! should be fun to play with this fall. Looking forward to seeing your success this fall with your new machine.

dc

View attachment dockside.JPG
View attachment Trial runs 003.JPG

Last edited:
Back